In the pursuit of ever more effective methods for getting emergency supplies to those affected by natural disaster, CAC has made several strides in the use of Amazon.com.
CAC created and saved several Shopping Lists most of which are supplies we already use in most of the deployments we have done. Why is this important? What are the advantages?
- It is now faster and easier to place orders for ANYONE (including CAC) – No more wasting time looking for appropriate items
- The man hours spent shopping are reduced. This saves fuel as well.
- Pressure on local supply chain is reduced (let locals buy the local supplies)
- Cost savings!
Amazon.com Emergency Relief Supply Lists
144 (2 meal) Emergency Meal Kits: http://a.co/bwNS1xv
144 Hygiene Kits: http://a.co/8UP8kKl
50 Household Cleaning Kits: http://a.co/a12LtI7
Baby Supplies Reorder List: http://a.co/aJ94XnC
Feminine Hygiene Reorder List: http://a.co/j8zxVXH
Fuel & Oil Supplies Reorder List: http://a.co/c9MpWwl
Hardware & Misc Reorder List: http://a.co/avkjMNy
Laundry Reorder List: http://a.co/fLZht1m
Of course using an outsourced supplier requires a few things to happen before CAC will choose this option. For example, we must have:
- A secured (from weather and theft) storage location
- Local Volunteers to manage inventory
- Local Volunteers to aid with distribution
- There is time to receive and process shipments
Assuming those criteria are met, importing supplies will make a lot of sense!
Now anyone can create emergency/disaster kits using the same items as CAC. Shoppers can easily ship the selected supplies anywhere they want…to homeless shelters, battered women’s shelters, crisis shelters, churches, etc.
What used to take a couple hours should now take 20-30 minutes. Now that’s an efficiency gain. Share these shopping lists with preparedness and charitable organizations or individuals! Try ordering supplies and having a “Kittogether” just to see what it is like to produce these emergency kits.
It’s more fun that you might think and its a skill you can pass along.